The bill addresses concerns related to child care
facilities providers (providers) that are operating without a valid license or are exempt from licensure, including:
- Adding a requirement for the state department of human services (department) to include
complaints andthe names and locations of cease-and-desist orders that have been issued against a child care facility (facility)providers on the department's child care provider website (website) that is accessible to the public;
- Adding an additional requirement for the department to post on its website the name and location of any provider operating outside the allowed exemptions and to whom one or more cease-and-desist order has been issued. The information posted must include name, location, and total number of cease-and-desist orders issued to the same provider;
Allowing the department or a county department of human or social services (county department) to apply for an injunction if a person is operating a facility that is either required to be licensed but is in violation of any of the requirements of such license or is exempt from licensure but has received one or more cease-and-desist orders from the department or a county department;
- Establishing that a person operating a facility, whether licensed or exempt from licensure, that has received a cease-and-desist order from the department or a county department and who fails to cure the violation cited by the department or a county department in the allotted period is guilty of a petty offense;
- Revising and increasing the language related to civil penalties and fines for persons operating a facility, whether licensed or exempt from licensure; and
- Clarifying that those petty offenses count toward the withholding of Colorado child care assistance program money for family child care home providers.
In honor and memory of Elle Matthews, the bill names section 26-6-112 of the Colorado Revised Statutes the "Elle Matthews Act for Increased Safety in Child Care".
(Note: Italicized words indicate new material added to the original summary; dashes through words indicate deletions from the original summary.)
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)