The act updates provisions of the existing article 1.9 of title 18, Colorado Revised Statutes, concerning the treatment of persons with mental health disorders in the criminal and juvenile justice systems.
Substantive changes include:
- Broadening the name and scope of the legislative oversight committee (committee) and associated task force (task force) from concerning the treatment of "persons with mental health disorders" to "persons with behavioral health disorders";
- Allowing the task force to research topics for members of the committee upon request;
- Adjusting task force membership and creating term limits for task force members;
- Further defining issues for the task force to study; and
- Extending the repeal date to July 1, 2027.
The act appropriates $108,131 to the legislative department from the general fund to implement the provisions of the act.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)