Sunset Dental Hygienists Specialized Functions
The act continues the ability of dental hygienists to place interim therapeutic restorations (ITR) and apply silver diamine fluoride (SDF) until September 1, 2025, to align with the sunset review of the Colorado dental board (board).
The act also:
- Relocates the statutory language granting dental hygienists the authority to apply SDF;
- Specifies the requirements of an articulated plan between a dental hygienist and a collaborating dentist for purposes of dental hygienist prescribing;
- Repeals the requirement that a dental hygienist carry professional liability insurance to place ITR or apply SDF because the requirement exists in another provision of the "Dental Practice Act" that applies to all dental hygienists;
- Removes language specifying the timeline for communication with a distant dentist when using telehealth;
- Removes language specifying the number of hours of experience a dental hygienist is required to obtain before the board may grant the dental hygienist a permit to place ITR;
- Requires a dentist who collaborates with a dental hygienist in ITR placements using telehealth supervision to have an active license issued by the board and have a practice location that is either in Colorado or within reasonable proximity of the location where the ITR is placed;
- Requires the board to develop a waiver process to allow dentists to supervise more than 5 dental hygienists who place ITR; and
- Removes language regarding "store-and-forward transfer" technology to allow both synchronous and asynchronous technology when dental hygienists use telehealth in ITR placements and SDF applications.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)