The act implements the recommendations of the department of regulatory agencies (department), as specified in the department's sunset review of the state board of optometry (board), with modifications, by:
- Continuing the board and the regulation of optometry for 11 years, until September 1, 2033;
- Adding certain treatments and procedures to the scope of the practice of optometry;
- Removing the exemption for optometrists from the requirement to notify the board in the event that the optometrist is unable to treat patients with reasonable skill and safety;
- Removing references to the "National Board of Examiners in Optometry" and clarifying that the board may designate any national standardized examination that tests the applicant's ability to practice optometry as a requirement for licensure; and
- Requiring an optometrist licensed by the board to complete certain education, examination, and reporting requirements to perform laser procedures or treat ocular adnexa.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)