Sunset Continue Regulation Of Asbestos
The act implements the recommendations of the department of regulatory agencies, as contained in the department's sunset review of the regulation of persons in connection with the control of asbestos, as follows:
- Continues the regulation for 5 years, until September 1, 2027;
- Removes limits on the ability of the air quality control commission to promulgate rules more stringent than the standards set forth in the federal "Occupational Safety and Health Act" (OSHA) and federal regulations promulgated pursuant to OSHA; and
- Requires a local government to add language regarding asbestos inspections on each application to renovate or demolish property.
The act also:
- Expands the definition of "area of public access" to include any building, facility, or property that a member of the general public can enter or be exposed to asbestos;
- Amends the definition of "asbestos abatement" to include conducting a major spill response to prevent the escape of asbestos fibers into the atmosphere;
- Adds a definition of "facility"; and
- Expands the types of facilities for which a person must be certified before conducting asbestos inspections or asbestos abatement actions from schools or public or commercial buildings to any building, facility, or property.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)