Elections And Voting
The act amends various laws related to the conduct of elections, including provisions related to:
- Procedures for registering to vote and for automatic voter registration through voter registration agencies;
- Requirements related to political party organization, including requirements for precinct caucuses, county assemblies, and vacancy committees;
- Ballot access for candidates, including repealing the ability of an unaffiliated candidate for president of the United States to be nominated by paying a fee;
- Requirements for voter service and polling centers and voting in person;
- Procedures for challenges to a person's right to vote;
- Procedures and requirements for circulating recall petitions and the conduct of recall elections, including municipal and local government recall elections;
- Prohibitions on electioneering in and within 100 feet of a polling place; and
- Requirements for filing initiative petitions.
The act applies to elections conducted on or after the effective date of the act and takes effect upon passage; except that provisions allowing a person to register to vote online using the last 4 digits of their social security number take effect March 1, 2022.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)