Sunset Professional Review Committees
Professional review committees - knowledge of reporting data - requirement to update information - rules - original source documents - committee membership - requirement to notify medical and nursing board - continuation under sunset law. The act implements the recommendations of the department of regulatory agencies' sunset review and report on the functions of professional review committees as follows:
- Repeals references to the committee on anticompetitive conduct because the committee no longer exists and replaces the term "utilization and quality control peer review organization" with "quality improvement organization" to be consistent with federal law;
- Clarifies that governing boards reporting data, and the data reported, to the division of professions and occupations in the department of regulatory agencies or a regulatory board may be known to staff of the division;
- Requires governing boards to annually update their information with the division; and
- Requires the division to promulgate rules to determine the information a governing board is required to report and to establish a process to remove governing boards from the registry.
The act also:
- Defines "original source document", exempts such documents from the definition of "records", and specifies when the documents may be subject to subpoena, discovery, or use in a civil action;
- Encourages each professional review committee of a hospital to appoint a consumer to serve on the committee; and
- Repeals language requiring, in certain situations, a professional review committee for individuals licensed under the "Colorado Medical Practice Act" or the "Nurse Practice Act" to notify the medical board or nursing board, as applicable.
The automatic termination date of the functions of professional review committees is extended until September 1, 2030, pursuant to the provisions of the sunset law.
Specified provisions of the act are contingent upon House Bill 19-1172 becoming law.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)