Sunset Process - House Public Health Care and Human Services Committee. The bill implements recommendations of the department of regulatory agencies' sunset review and report on the regulation of naturopathic doctors by:
- Continuing the regulation of naturopathic doctors for 9 years, to 2029 ( sections 1 and 2 of the bill);
- Providing immunity from liability for the director of the division of professions and occupations (director) , division staff, consultants, and complainants in any civil action brought against the individual for acts occurring while the individual is acting in the individual's capacity as director, board member, staff, consultant, or witness, respectively ( section 3 );
Removing references to the North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners and the Council on Naturopathic Medical Education ( sections 4 and 6 ); and
Repealing the requirement that a naturopathic doctor develop and execute a collaborative agreement with a licensed physician before the naturopathic doctor can treat children under the age of 2 ( sections 5 and 7 ).
The bill also:
- Requires that of the doctors of medicine or osteopathy who serve on the naturopathic medicine advisory committee (committee), one must be a pediatrician and one must be a member of a statewide multispecialty medical society ( section 4 );
- Requires the committee to meet at least once each year and tasks the committee with reviewing the naturopathic doctor formulary and making recommendations to the director on additions to the formulary (section 4); and
- Allows the director to make additions to the naturopathic formulary ( section 5 ); and
- Prohibits a person who is not registered as a naturopathic doctor from using any title that implies the person is registered or licensed as a naturopathic doctor (section 5).
(Note: Italicized words indicate new material added to the original summary; dashes through words indicate deletions from the original summary.)
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)