The act makes it a deceptive trade practice for a person to knowingly or intentionally manufacture, import, distribute, sell, offer for sale, install, or reinstall a device intended to replace a supplemental restraint system component if the device is:
- A counterfeit supplemental restraint system component;
- A nonfunctional airbag; or
- Any object in lieu of a supplemental restraint system component that was not designed in accordance with federal safety regulations for the make, model, and year of the motor vehicle in which it is or will be installed.
The act also prohibits a motor vehicle repair facility or any employee or contract laborer of the facility from installing or reinstalling any device that causes the motor vehicle's diagnostic systems to fail to warn that:
- The motor vehicle is equipped with a counterfeit supplemental restraint system component;
- The motor vehicle is equipped with a nonfunctional airbag; or
- No airbag is installed.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)