Legislative Council Staff publishes forecasts of the Colorado and U.S. economies and state revenue each March, June, September, and December. The General assembly uses these forecasts to develop the state budget, monitor state spending in relation to revenue, and determine and report the amount of excess state revenue under TABOR.
The Economics staff also prepares several annual forecasts that are used to prepare budget requests for various state programs. These annual forecasts include:
- the prison and parole population for adults and juveniles;
- assessed property values for school districts;
- kindergarten through twelfth grade public school enrollment;
- higher education enrollment; and
- tobacco master settlement agreement payments.