The act establishes the disordered eating prevention program (program) in the department of public health and environment (department) within the prevention services division (division).
The division is required to:
- Create and maintain an external-facing resource that is updated annually and includes key information about disordered eating, including risk factors and prevention factors;
- Collaborate with the office of suicide prevention and other programs within the division to align work focused on disordered eating, facilitate public outreach, and increase awareness regarding disordered eating prevention and care with a focus on impacted communities, such as youth, older Coloradans, people of color, and lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals;
- Partner with the department of education to inform teachers, administrators, school staff, students, and parents on disordered eating preventions; and
- Coordinate the disordered eating prevention research grant program.
The division may:
- Contract with a third-party to conduct focus groups, interview key individuals, conduct surveys, and establish a collaborative group to discuss key issues regarding disordered eating prevention;
- Partner with the behavioral health administration; and
- Identify disordered eating prevention strategies, including dismantling discrimination and bias with regard to weight.
The act creates the disordered eating prevention research grant program (grant program) in the division. The purpose of the grant program is to provide financial assistance to eligible applicants to research root causes of disordered eating and examine risk factors for and protective factors against disordered eating in youth, adults, and older Coloradans.
The act appropriates $26,679 to the department from the general fund for use by the division for the program.
APPROVED by Governor May 30, 2023
EFFECTIVE August 7, 2023
NOTE: This act was passed without a safety clause and takes effect 90 days after sine die.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)