For the local school food purchasing program, the bill:
- Makes technical changes to when a local education provider may apply to the program and when the department of education (department) selects providers;
- Requires the department to ensure geographic and district pupil size diversity among providers;
- Changes the limit for the number of lunches that all local education providers provided in the prior year to 10 million;
- Changes the reimbursement formula to $0.05 for every meal that the local education provider provided in the previous year; and
- Specifies that if the department does not spend the full appropriation for the program, up to 5% of the appropriation is available to the department in the following year to pay for the required evaluation and report.
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)