The specified limitations are that:
- The requirement to display precinct caucus and election date messages does not alter any procedures or requirements specified in law or in department of public safety or CDOT administrative rules or limit CDOT's discretion concerning the display of emergency alerts on its variable message signs;
- CDOT may give priority to such alerts and to other safety related messages, including messages regarding adverse weather or road conditions, over the precinct caucus and election date messages; and
- CDOT may not display the precinct caucus and election date messages:
- Unless it obtains federal approval from the U.S. department of transportation (USDOT) or one of its agencies; or
- If USDOT or one of its agencies advise CDOT that displaying the messages will result in the reduction of federal aid highway funds to the state.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)