Skip to main content
Colorado General AssemblyToggle Main Menu
Agency NameToggle Agency Menu

Vehicle Titling

The following documents are required when titling a vehicle in Colorado: 

  • proof of insurance (if registering the vehicle at the same time);
  • identification;
  • the current title or other ownership documents properly endorsed by the previous owner;
  • proof of a Colorado vehicle emissions test, if applicable;
  • complete odometer disclosure;
  • a bill of sale for sales tax purposes;
  • if a lien is to be recorded, an acceptable mortgage document or security agreement that contains the vehicle description, including year, make, VIN, lienholder's name and address, lien amount, and owner's signature;
  • if the vehicle has never been titled before in Colorado, manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO) and valid registration or title with a weight slip.
  • if the vehicle has more than one owner, all owners are required to declare their intent to have the Certificate of Title issued in Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship.  This may be accomplished by completing the Joint Tenancy with Rights of Survivorship Acknowledgement of Intent form located within the Title and/or Registration Application.
  • if the vehicle was titled in another state or is being transferred on an out‑of‑state MSO, a Verification of VIN form is required to be completed by either a:
  • Colorado law enforcement officer;
  • licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer; or
  • licensed Colorado emissions testing station.

Visit the DOR's Taxes and Fees page for more information about vehicle title fees, registration fees, and applicable sales taxes.  For general information about vehicle titling, visit the DOR's Titling a Vehicle webpage.

Email addresses for the Colorado legislature have changed from the domain to the domain on December 1, 2022. Details