Location: RM 271
Presentation - Strategic Action Planning Group on Aging
COMMITTEE ON JOINT HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
|Votes: View-->||Action Taken:|
03:26 PM -- Presentation - Strategic Action Planning Group on Aging
Jim Reisberg, Strategic Action Planning Group on Aging, presented to the committee. Mr. Reisberg explained the planning group's membership and charge. He discussed three themes that emerged from the planning group's public conversations, including reframing the impression of aging, helping people to change their habits to make positive healthcare choices, and encouraging coordination and collaboration among the volunteer community. Mr. Reisberg went over statistics on Colorado's aging population.
Mr. Reisberg went over the goals of the planning group. He discussed the recommendations that the planning group developed, which include:
- creating a permanent, high-level office or position on aging within the Executive Branch;
- helping to increase the retirement savings of Coloradans;
- supporting efforts to create a Universal Design Certification program;
- supporting the Colorado Department of Transportation's State Coordinating Council and reviewing transportation funding for strategies to include seniors;
- making changes to the workforce to ensure family leave and making things easier for caregivers;
- protecting seniors from fraud, abuse, neglect, exploitation, and predatory practices; and
- promoting mental health first aid training for all essential personnel.
Mr. Reisburg explained how the planning group gathered their research on aging. He referenced a document from the Council of State Governments that discusses other states' responses to aging populations. He noted that members of the planning group are willing to go out into the community to discusses their final report.
Mr. Reisberg responded to questions regarding collaboration of working groups on aging, housing for seniors, and financial elder abuse laws.
Representative Ginal adjourned the meeting.