Skip to main content
Colorado General AssemblyToggle Main Menu
Agency NameToggle Agency Menu

Noncitizen Driver Licenses (SB 13‑251)

The Colorado Road and Community Safety Act, Senate Bill 13‑251, allows the state to issue a driver license, minor's instruction permit, or identification card to a noncitizen resident of Colorado who cannot provide proof of lawful presence in the United States.  There are currently eight DMV offices that issue identity documents to individuals who cannot demonstrate lawful presence: Alamosa; Aurora; Centennial; Colorado Springs; Denver Northeast; Durango; Ft. Morgan; Glenwood Springs; Golden; Grand Junction; Greeley, Lakewood Westgate; Lamar; Montrose; Northglenn; Parker; Pueblo; and Sterling.    

Individuals seeking to obtain SB 13-251 documents are currently required to meet several documentation requirements, which include:

  • an individual taxpayer identification number (ITTN) issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), a letter from the IRS, a certified state tax return, or a social security number;
  • proof of Colorado income tax return filing for the immediately preceding year or documents demonstrating current, one-year prior, and two-year prior residency, including: first class mail (with dated postmark), credit card statement, insurance policy, typed rent receipt, phone bill, bank statement, pay stub, utility bill with service address, mortgage statement or lease agreement, and/or vehicle registration or title; and  one of the following from the applicant’s country of origin: a passport, a consular identification card, or a military identification document.

Online renewals.  Undocumented residents may renew a license online.  Temporary legal residents must visit a driver license office to renew a license. 

Email addresses for the Colorado legislature have changed from the domain to the domain on December 1, 2022. Details
The effective date for bills enacted without a safety clause (unless otherwise specified) is August 7, 2023. Details
The 2023 Ballot Information Booklet (Blue Book) is now available. Details