Location: LSB A
BILL SUMMARY for SB17-209
HOUSE COMMITTEE ON STATE, VETERANS, & MILITARY AFFAIRS
|Votes: View-->||Action Taken:|
05:17 PM -- SB17-209
Representative Weissman, bill sponsor, presented Senate Bill 17-209. The bill makes the following changes related to candidate access to the ballot and the filling of candidate vacancies:
• Designated election officials are prohibited from certifying a candidate for placement on the ballot if the official deems the candidate is unqualified based on residency requirements following a review of the candidate's residency information contained in the statewide voter registration system.
• The time frame for circulating candidate petitions to designate party candidates at a primary election is changed to allow circulation starting on the first Monday in January and require them to be filed by the last day in February.
• The Department of State is authorized to create rules allowing for circulator affidavits with an error to be cured by providing a new, corrected affidavit within five days of receiving notice of the error.
• A party chairperson is authorized to provide notice of a vacancy committee meeting to committee members by email.
• Designated election officials are required to post notice of a candidate vacancy and the name of the replacement on their website and in each voter service and polling center.
• Statutes pertaining to the process for filling candidate vacancies before and after a primary election are reorganized.
Representative Weissman provided a handout to the committee (Attachment C).
05:23 PM -- Suzanne Staiert, Department of State, testified in support of the bill.
05:27 PM -- Ben Schler, Department of State, testified in support of the bill.
Ms. Staiert, Representative Weissman, and Mr. Schler answered questions from the committee.
Representative Weissman made additional comments about the bill to the committee. The bill was laid over at the sponsor's request to a date to be determined.
The committee adjourned.