Skip to main content
Colorado General AssemblyToggle Main Menu
Agency NameToggle Agency Menu

Hazardous Materials

Commercial carriers transporting hazardous materials in Colorado must obtain a permit from CDOT.  Permitting and safety requirements for the transportation of such materials are enforced by the Colorado State Patrol (CSP).  Vehicles carrying hazardous materials are subject to inspection by the CSP, must provide proof of liability insurance, may be taken out of service for violations, and are subject to fines and criminal penalties.    Single‑trip permits for hazardous materials transportation (for up to a 72‑hour period) may be obtained from a port of entry or from CDOT.  Additional permitting and fee requirements apply to permits for the transportation of radioactive materials.  Certain radioactive materials are excluded from these permitting requirements, including radioactive materials used for research or medical purposes, radioactive ores, and radioactive materials used in national security activities.

CSP regulates and enforces both the interstate and intrastate transportation of hazardous materials in Colorado.  CSP has the authority to designate which public roads may be used by vehicles transporting hazardous materials.  Counties, municipalities, and CDOT may currently apply for new hazardous materials route designations or request changes to existing routes.  CSP must provide adequate public notice before approving a hazardous materials route designation.

The effective date for bills enacted without a safety clause is August 7, 2024, if the General Assembly adjourns sine die on May 8, 2024, unless otherwise specified. Details