Online license renewal. Drivers renewing their license online will not be issued a temporary document, and the license may take up to 30 days to be delivered. Males between the ages of 18 to 25 will automatically be registered for selective service when renewing online. Commercial driver licenses cannot be renewed online. In order to renew a license online, an individual must have had an eye examination by an optometrist or ophthalmologist within the last three years. In order to be eligible to renew online, the following criteria must be met:
- U.S. citizen;
- 21 to 65 years old;
- current adult license is valid or expired for less than one year;
- last license was issued in an office or was not renewed online the last two times;
- name on current driver license has not changed;
- social security number is on file with the Department of Revenue;
- no tests are required to renew the license;
- no pending actions on driving record;
- all outstanding tickets are paid; and
- no bad checks on file.
Renew‑by‑mail. Colorado drivers over the age of 21 who hold a regular adult Colorado license may have the option to renew their license online. Visit the DOR's myDMV website to check eligibility.
Office renewal. Drivers can schedule an appointment to renew their driver license online. U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and individuals with lawful status in the U.S. may also visit any driver license office during normal hours without an appointment. When going to an office to renew a driver license, the following are required:
- a valid (or expired less than one year) Colorado driver license, instruction permit or identification card;
- proof of social security number;
- proof of Colorado address; and
- applicable fee.
New customers must bring proof of lawful presence in the U.S. If an individual's driver license has been expired for more than one year, he or she will be required to pass a written exam, purchase an instruction permit, and successfully pass the drive skills test before purchasing a new license.
Drivers over 65. Drivers over the age of 65 cannot renew their driver license online. Adults over 65 may renew their driver license in an office, and may renew‑by‑mail every other renewal cycle. First‑time applicants or those who wish to step down from a driver license to an identification card must visit an office.