Representative Mullica, bill sponsor, presented House Bill 20-1183 to the committee. The bill extends the regulation of nurse aides until September 1, 2027, and makes the following changes:
• relocates provisions related to certified nurse aides to the Nurse Practice Act;
• modifies the grounds for discipline related to excessive use of alcohol and drugs;
• changes the waiting period for recertification after a certificate is revoked to two years;
• repeals the requirement that the State Board of Nurses send notifications of action taken by certified mail;
• clarifies that the regulation of certified nurse aides does not apply to a person directly employed by a medical facility for the first four months, if the employment is part of an approved training program and the certification is not through endorsement.
Representative Mullica responded to committee questions.