Julie Pelegrin, Office of Legislative Legal Services, and Anna Gerstle, Legislative Council Staff, discussed the bill draft request process. The committee discussed the following bill draft proposals.
1) Senator Merrifield requested a bill to provide funding for early childhood development teach program. Kathryn Harris, President, Qualistar, and Evie Hudak, Hudak Consulting, came to the table to discuss the bill draft proposal and described the Colorado Teach Program.
2) Representative Buckner requested a bill addressing the International Building Codes to support childcare home providers. Bill Jaeger, Colorado Children's Campaign, came to the table to discuss the possible bill request in more detail and responded to committee questions.
3) Senator Merrifield requested a bill that raises awareness on safe fire arm storage and mentioned a possible inclusion of other hazardous materials in the household.
5) Senator Merrifield requested a bill to ban suspension and expulsion in grades P-3.
The committee discussed ways to strengthen HB 08-1223.
6) Representative Wilson requested a bill to address early childhood dyslexia screening.
7) Senator Priola requested a bill concerning full day kindergarten.
8) Representative Wilson requested a bill concerning the teacher cadet program and the early childhood teacher shortage.
9) Senator Merrifield requested a bill to implement a tax credit for preschool teachers and early childcare providers.
10) Senator Merrifield requested a bill to continue the funding for early childhood councils.
11) Representative Buckner requested a bill for funding for Family Resource Centers.