Driver's History Profession Or Occupation Decision
The act limits the conditions under which the appropriate regulatory authority in the department of revenue and the department of regulatory agencies may use a driver's history to make certain decisions about a license, permit, certification, or registration that is necessary to practice an occupation or profession or to operate a business. Felonies and misdemeanors are excluded from the meaning of "driver's history".
The decisions that are limited by the act concern:
- Issuing, renewing, reinstating, or reactivating the license, permit, certification, or registration; and
- Taking disciplinary action against the holder of the license, permit, certification, or registration.
The events in a driver's history used to make these decisions may be used only if the event is relevant to the profession or occupation and:
- The profession or occupation involves driving;
- The event is a part of a pattern of behavior; or
- The event occurred within 3 years before the person applied for the license, permit, certification, or registration or the act upon which the discipline is based.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as enacted.)