Transportation Legislation Review Committee. The bill creates the expedited registration program (program). The program authorizes the department of revenue to promulgate rules authorizing private providers to register interstate commercial vehicles. The provider may collect and retain a convenience fee.
The bill requires the program to:
- Operate efficiently;
- Result in overall cost savings to the state by providing additional services or by increasing the speed or quality of service; and
- Register commercial vehicles and collect taxes and fees in compliance with state law.
To qualify, a private provider must:
- Be approved by the department;
- Use appropriate software approved by the department; and
- Submit evidence of financial responsibility.
The department may deny, suspend, or revoke the authority to be a provider if the provider violates the law, makes a material misstatement in an application, or fails to perform.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)