Sunset Continue Custom Processing Meat Animals
Concerning the continuation of the regulation of the custom processing of meat animals, and, in connection therewith, implementing the recommendations in the 2022 sunset report by the department of regulatory agencies.
2023 Regular Session
Professions & Occupations
- Continuing the act for 9 years, to September 2032 ( sections 1 and 2 );
- Repealing obsolete provisions that concern the use of a stakeholder process to develop poultry labeling requirements ( section 3 );
- Consolidating statutory provisions imposing civil penalties for a violation into one provision ( section 4 );
- Standardizing criminal penalties by reducing the penalty for a violation of the act or a rule promulgated under the act from a class 2 misdemeanor with a fine of $750 and up to 364 days imprisonment to a petty offense, which is up to a $300 fine or 10 days in jail ( section 5 ); and
- Directing that civil penalties be credited to the general fund ( section 6 ).
(Note: This summary applies to the reengrossed version of this bill as introduced in the second house.)