The bill implements recommendations from the dyslexia working group. The bill:
- Directs school districts, boards of cooperative services, charter schools, and institute charter schools (local education providers) to screen for students at risk of foundational literacy skill deficits;
- Directs local education providers to provide evidence-based supplemental instruction and intervention for children at risk of foundational literacy skill deficits;
- Requires local education providers to provide the public and parents information regarding which screening and interventions the local education provider uses for foundational literacy skill deficits;
- Requires the department of education to provide professional development for local education providers and the public in evidence-based best practices, including screening, supplemental instruction, and intervention; and
- Establishes an independent ombudsman office.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)