Current law prohibits the use of wireless telephones while driving for individuals who are younger than 18 years of age. The bill:
- Extends the prohibition to drivers of all ages;
- Extends the existing prohibition of the use of wireless telephones to include all mobile electronic devices;
- Establishes the penalties as $300 and 4 points for a first violation, $500 and 6 points for a second violation, and $750 and 8 points for a third or subsequent violation;
- Creates an exception to the prohibition of the use of mobile electronic devices for drivers who use a mobile electronic device while a hands-free accessory is engaged; and
- Repeals a sentence enhancement for a violation that causes bodily injury or death.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)