Current law prohibits the use of wireless telephones while driving for individuals who are younger than 18 years of age. The bill:
- Extends the prohibition to drivers of all ages;
- Increases the penalty for minor drivers from $50 per violation to $300 per violation, to match the penalty that currently applies to adult drivers;
- Extends the existing prohibition of the use of wireless telephones to include all mobile electronic devices;
- Creates an exception to the prohibition of the use of mobile electronic devices for adult drivers who use a mobile electronic device through the use of a hands-free device; and
- Repeals a sentence enhancement for a violation that causes a bodily injury or death.
(Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced.)