Skip to main content
Colorado General AssemblyToggle Main Menu
Agency NameToggle Agency Menu

I_TLRC_2021A 08/04/2021 08:41:27 AM Committee Summary

Date 08/04/2021
Boesenecker X
Catlin X
Coram E
Donovan E
Froelich X
Gray X
Hisey X
Hooton X
Pettersen E
Pico X
Rich E
Scott E
Sullivan X
Valdez D. X
Van Winkle E
Zenzinger X
Winter E
Exum X
Time 08:41:27 AM to 03:04:54 PM
Place Old State Library
This Meeting was called to order by Exum
This Report was prepared by April Bernard
Hearing Items Action Taken
Public Highway Authority Update Committee Discussion Only
Colorado Motor Carriers Association Committee Discussion Only
Presentation from Colorado Energy Office and Colorado Department of Transportation Committee Discussion Only
Presentation from Regional Transportation District Committee Discussion Only
Presentation from Colorado Association of Transit Agencies Committee Discussion Only
Presentation from Colorado Cross Disability Coalition Committee Discussion Only
Presentation from Colorado Department of Health Care Policy & Financing Committee Discussion Only
Interim Bill Draft Requests Committee Discussion Only

Public Highway Authority Update - Committee Discussion Only

08:41:46 AM  
Director Tim Stewart
and Board Chairman Chaz Tedesco, representing the E-470 Highway Authority
provided a PowerPoint presentation (Attachment A) to the committee.  Director
Stewart provided a handout was also provided (Attachment B).  Chairman
Tedesco made introductory remarks.  Director Stewart provided background
about the 47 mile toll road around the perimeter of Denver.  He indicated
that the authority is carrying $1.3 billion in debt that will pay off in
September of 2041 and provided a summary toll and fee reductions.
08:46:27 AM  
Director Stewart
said that the authority recently adopted a work plan that includes regional
public partnerships, facilitating transportation projects, and funding
capital needs with no new debt, as well as the update of the 2018 master
plan.  He also indicated that the authority continues to reduce debt
and is using cash reserves for needs.  

He shared 2021
traffic statistices through June, including that traffic is 22 percent
below 2019, but up 18 percent over 2020 traffic.  

Director Stewart
stated that the authority completed a $99 million project with Arapahoe
County and the City of Aurora that reconfigured lanes,addded lanes, and
made additions to the High Plains Trail.  There are plans to expand
and make improvements at I-70 and 104th Avenue, as well as 38th Avenue,
48th Avenue, 64th Avenue, 88th Avenue, and Pena Boulevard.

08:52:01 AM  
E-470 staff discussed
the highway's economic impact in the region for 2019, including a savings
of 43.2 million hours, equivalent to $354.5 million net value.  Staff
stated that $70 million was saved in avoided accidents and that the value
of commercial goods moved through the region on the toll road was $4.3
billion total in 2020.  

Director Stewart indicated that the authority has cut wrong way driving
in half, using cable barriers and is protecing wildlife with fencing.  He
stated that the authority is also contributing to improved air quality,
using electric fleet vehicles.  

Authority staff shared concerns about a drop in revenue with the passage
of Senate Bill 21-257.  Director Steward stated that concerns relate
to the absence of license plates on mobile machinery, since the authority
tolls vehicles using license plates.  There was a discussion about
how special mobile machinery is licensed.

08:58:51 AM  
Committee members
discussed how most mobile machinery may be pulled on a trailer or is not
road worthy, as well as examples of mobile machinery, such as oil and gas
09:12:22 AM  
There was a discussion
about a marketing campaign for the transponder and perks for E-470 customers,
as well as revenues related to traffic flow.  E-470 staff answered
questions about about the review of unsolicited proposals and the lack
of a formal policy on this issue.

09:24:27 AM  
John Hall, Managing
Administrator representing the Northwest Parkway  Authority, provided
a PowerPoint presentation (Attachment C) about the highway that links E-470,
I-25, and US36.  Mr. Hall discussed additional developments adjacent
to the parkway, including: on the eastern end of the Baseline Project,
north of the parkway, a development with 9,000 homes; at the Highway 287
interchange on the northeast corner at Lafayette, Medtronics development;
and west of Louisville a Conoco Phillips redevelopment.  

Mr. Hall provided
information about traffic during the pandemic, including: total trips falling
by 40 percent in 2020 from pre-pandemic levels; traffic recovery, currently
at 30 percent lower than pre-pandemic levels; and a general decrease in
accidents, while personal injuries have remained relatively constant.  

Mr. Hall stated
that toll rates are regulated by the consessionnaire, and increase  annually
per capita with the gross domestic product,U.S. Consumer Price Index, or
2 percent, whichever is higher.  He shared that the annual inspection
of the parkway recently resulted in a score of 4.96 out of 5, with no category
one (poses an immediate hazard) defects.  He indicated that only one
category two defect (does not pose an immediate hazard) was found.  

There was a discussion about recent projects, including pavement rideability
improvements on 15,000 feet of surfuce and electronic toll signage with
replacement of signs and the addition of 11 electronic variable tolling
09:33:34 AM  
Solar arrays used
by the parkway were discussed.  Mr. Hall highlighted seven solar arrays,
producing 940 killowats of electricity, and reducing the use of electricity
through the power grid by 47 percent over the last 10 years in the administrative
building. There was a discussion about solar panels assisting with the
operating costs of facilities and ramp locations.

09:34:47 AM  
Bill Ray, Executive
Director representing the Jefferson Parkway Highway Authority, provided
background information about the highway.  Mr. Ray provided a PowerPoint
presentation (Attachment D).  He indicated that the parkway is still
in planning stages.  There was a discussion about soil samples and
hazardous materials in the area of the proposed highway. Mr. Ray talked
about the City and County of Broomfield recent re-engagement in the parkway,
after withdrawing  in the past.  Mr. Ray answered questions about
the continued relevancy of the project and changing the route of the parkway,
including an environmental impact study should the route change.

Colorado Motor Carriers Association - Committee Discussion Only

09:50:18 AM  
Greg Fulton, president
representing the Colorado Motor Carriers Association (CMCA), provided a
PowerPoint presentation (Attachment E) about the association.  Mr.
Fulton indicated that the trucking industry provides 122,680 jobs in Colorado.
 He stated that there are 15,000 trucking companies in the state,
with the averge base salary per year for a trucking job in Colorado at
$72,622.  Mr. Fulton presented that the trucking industry pays 37
percent of fees and makes up only 6 percent of traffic on the road. He
indicated that the industry in Colorado paid $502 million in federal and
state roadway taxes in 2019.  

Mr. Fulton provided information on clean diesel progross, including a 98
reduction in nitrous oxides and particulate matter.  He stated that
new technology has reduced diesel truck carbon dioxide emissiosn by 126
milllion tons since 2007 and that the industry is working on replacing
trucks older than 2007 with newer models, since older trucks make up 75
percent of diesel emissions.
09:57:49 AM  
Mr. Fulton taked
about the impacts of the  I-70 closure of through Glenwood Canyon.
 He stated that a typical trip of four to four and half hours now
takes six and a half to eight hours, driving through Rifle.  He went
on to indicate that hours of service for truckers can be problematic with
the alternate route, since the driver must rest in the middle of the trip
according to federal regulations about hours truckers may work.  He
talked about the US-50 project being placed on hold due to the I-70 closure,
providing another route option.  Mr. Fulton indicated that delays
are creating supply chain issues, leading to higher costs for consumers
and shippers and more traffic on the alternate routes.

10:02:53 AM  
Mr. Fulton touched
on a nationwide driver shortage.  He talked about the legalization
of marijuana in Colorado and federal requirements related to drug testing.
  Mr. Fulton shared statistics about the median age of truck dirvers,
55, with more drivers retiring, and few female drivers.  He discussed
the nature of driving, being on the road regularly, as a challenge to hiring,
as well as additional pressures during the pandemic, such as an increase
in e-commerce, and the closure of driving schools.  Mr. Fulton outlined
possible solutions to hiring challenges, including paying drivers more;
providing more time at home for drivers; improving the driver image; expanding
days and times for delivery to allow for flexibility in schedules; and
recruiting and retaining drivers agressively.

10:16:55 AM  
Mr. Fulton talked
about longer term solutions to the driver shortage.  He mentioned
a tax credit to companies to extend training for new CDL drivers, perhaps
$10,000 for employing individuals with criminal records.  Mr. Fulton
talked about low or no cost training for soldiers ending their tour.  He
mentioned that there may be support for a pilot including drives 18 to
20 years old.  He suggested that greater outreach be made to women
and minorities and enhanced productivity through an incrcrease in gross
weight to 85,000 pounds on the interstate to match other state highways.
 Mr. Fulton mentioned an industry letter available for review on the
committee's web page (Attachment F).

10:22:07 AM  
Mr. Fulton talked
about proposed legislation that would define milk products as a non-divisible
load, consistent with other states.  He indicated that CMCA is also
interested in modifications to oversight of the passenger traction law,
including modifications to the type of tire noted in current law.

10:25:36 AM  
There was a discussion
about the fuel shortage.  Greer Bailey, representing the Colorado
Wyoming Petroleum Marketers Association, mentioned that communities are
experiencing fuel shortages, primarily diesel and higher premium gas; and
consumers are experiencing price spikes.  Mr. Bailey agreed that use
of US-50 is critical.  He mentioned that drivers are running out of
hours when driving longer distances, especially with fuel coming from areas
that are further away.  He suggested that intervention may be needed
to allocate fuel to emergency services and schools.

10:32:03 AM  
There was a discussion
about the US 50 closure and pressure to complete the project.  The
discussion included the possibility that ranchers and farmers, as well
as builders, may be having issues getting equipment.

10:36:28 AM  
There was a suggestion
to desginate key corridors and alternate corridors and apply resources
to those corridors to address shipping and highway closures.  There
was a discussion about additional fuel storage, especially in local airports.

10:43:53 AM  
There was a discussion
about driver pay, including some drivers requesting to work for cash.  Double
fuel tankers as a way to address the fuel shortage were discussed.  
A committee member suggested that disaster declaration for I-70 may provide
some latitude; however a permanent change must be approved by the federal
government and the distribution network may not be sufficient to carry
the weight of an additional tanker.

Presentation from Colorado Energy Office and Colorado Department of Transportation - Committee Discussion Only

10:51:43 AM  
Shoshana Lew, Executive
Director representing the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT),
provided a PowerPoint presesentation (Attachment G) and an update about
Glenwood Canyon. Director Lew discussed that the threat to the canyon is
ongoing with three areas of concern: moving debris to determine what needs
permanent repairs; dealing with unstable boulders; and safe passage for
CDOT employees and contractors working on the road.  She touched on
areas outside of the canyon experiencing the greatest damage, including
the Shoshone Power Plant.  She stated that the structure is secure,
but CDOT continues to monitor the area.  She mentioned that CDOT is
working when the weather is safe, however the monsoon weather pattern is
a problem.  She also suggested that there may be additional water
damage, but CDOT does not believe there is structural damage.  

10:55:20 AM  
Director Lew talked
about damage on the upper decks of the highway, as well as submersiion
of the lower deck.  She mentioned that the flow of the river channel
was affected, too.  Director Lew talked about ther partnership between
CDOT and the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to take care of emergency
operations and monitor safety.  She stated that DPS is helping with
traffic and CDOT is working within communities and with peer agencies and
the federal government.  Director Lew indicated that the Governor's
declaration under the Stafford Act will bring in resources.  She stated
that US50 is open until the situation is stabilized and that the efforts
to work on the highway will be long term.
10:58:02 AM  
Director Lew talked
about developments over the previous 48 hours, including work with the
Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to provide emergency program funds,
separate from the emergency declaration.  Steve Harrelson, Chief Engineer
for CDOT, provided additional information about the damage to the highway.
  He stated that stanchions on the upper deck that hold the concrete
need to be repaired with new concrete and rebar near Blue Gulch.  He
talked about debris removal and indicated that the lower deck contains
mud and water that has undercut the retaining wall, possibly damaging it.

11:01:33 AM  
Mr. Harrelson talked
about the debris flow.  He mentioned that the debris was like oatmeal
and 15 feet deep, but is now rocks the size of cars, trash cans, and bowling
balls, perhaps making the debris harder to move.  He talked about
recent storms and the constant clearing of debris that forces the river
from side to side.  Mr. Harrelson outlined the damage from Dotsero
to Rifle, with severe damage at Hanging Lakes.  He stated that the
access to the Shoshone Intake Dam is obliterated, and that power is out
at Shoshone, including no power for the dam gates.

11:07:54 AM  
There was a discussion
about the timeframe for opening the road.  Mr. Harrelson outlined
the plan to have one lane open in each direction next week, one on the
top deck and one on the bottom deck.  He indicated that CDOT will
get more help this week from contractors with dump trucks and front end
loaders, although they are affected by the trucking shortage, too.  He
stated that the plan is to have the highway completely open before the
onset of winter and the ski season.

11:16:07 AM  
There was a discussion
about supporting communities.  CDOT staff indicated that impediments
to alternate routes, US 50 and a smaller project on US 285, were removed.
 Director Lew indicated that the State Patrol is providing enforcement,
signage, flagging, and temporary staff on Independence Pass.  She
asked that communities communicate successes and needs.  She talked
about a standing group, including counties, to provide feedback on traffic
and other issues; and mentioned long term conversatons with regards to
response, recovery, and resiliency.  

11:25:09 AM  
Discussion turned
to the effects of wildfire and materials for mitigating fire on forest
health.  Mr. Harrelson discussed how materials and seed are applied
with fire retardant, however run off is increased due to the state of the
soil.  He mentioned that the soil must be broken up, however this
does happen over time.  Mr. Harrelson and Director Lew talked about
the State Forest Service and Department of Natural Resources work with
CDOT.  Director Lew mentioned that the berm at the top of Hanging
Lake Tunnel was helpful in containing some of the debris.
11:29:07 AM  
There was a discussion
about alternate routes and communication with local partners, including
packaging projects together with additional discussions.

11:36:39 AM  
Mr. Harrelson discussed
State Highway 14, including that there was no damage due to mud, however
there were issues with culverts.  The discussion included funding
and response related to the 2013 floods, such as Federal Emergency Management
Agency (FEMA) and FHWA funds.
11:41:59 AM  
There was a discussion
about problems with immediate repairs as well as previous repairs.
11:42:43 AM  
Director Will Toor,
representing the Colorado Energy Office (CEO), provided an update on transportation
emissions and greenhouse gas (GHG) emission  goals (Attachment H).
 He talked about transportation as the largest source of GHG emissions
in the state.  He outlined other major sources, including: electric
power generation, oil and gas, and buildings.  Director Toor talked
about the GHG Roadmap, released last year, that sets goals over the next
decade through 2030.   He mentioned that low and zero emission vehicle
rules are already in place and that fleet turnover will continue, as well
as investment in light duty infrastructure and electrifiction.  Director
Toor outlined additional strategies, including:  focusing on GHG emission
pollution standards for transportation plans; incentivizing land use near
jobs to reduce vehicle miles traveled; developing a clean trucking strategy
and vehicle standards post 2025; looking at air quality standard for indirect
sources of GHG; and expanding public transit.
11:46:27 AM  
Director Toor talked
about the passage of Senate Bill 21-260, including the investment of $724
million in charging infrastructure.  He talked about three new enterprises
that will create charging infrastructure; provide incentives to fleet electrification;
and electrify public transit.  He also mentioned that $1.2 billion
will be required over the next decade by government, private entities,
and public transit to meet goals for infrastructure.  Director Toor
talked about the  removal of obstacles to transportation electrification
and requiring utilities to file transportation electrification plans with
the passage of Senate Bill19-077.

11:55:40 AM  
Director Toor indicated
that the federal government will create new light duty vehicle GHG emission
and Cafe standards and that California will soon adopt clean air standards.
 He talked about how states may choose to adopt the California standards
or the federal Clean Air Act standards.  Director Toor talked about
zero emissions for all new vehicles by 2035.  He touched on the clean
trucking strategy and reduction of emissions from medium and heavy duty
trucks.  He presented the following strategies for clean trucking:
truck fleet turnover must accelerate to incorporate clean technology and
zero emissions; SmartWay; advanced clean truck standards; support for the
workforce; and a green procurement policy.

12:01:34 PM  
Director Lew talked
about GHG emissions and the ongoing rulemaking involving the Transportation
Commission.  She outlined that the rule will define the role of government
in transportation planning and provide more options to the public.  She
stated that the draft rule will be released on August 13, 2021, followed
by five public hearings.  Director Lew provided information about
a policy paper describes the major issues, including: how pollution reduction
is considered; the magnitude of reductions; mitigation measuresl and enforcement.
 She stated that the current transportation plan will most likely
be changed.
12:07:17 PM  
Director Lew discussed
the CDOT rule as a mechanism to reduce GHG in the transportation sector
through transportation planning organizations.    She stated
that Metropolitation Planning Organization funding will be linked to mitigating
GHG.  She also mentioned that various options will be available to
assist local organizations in meeting emissions goals and providing options
for consumers.  She stated that the GHG Roadmap outlines how emissions
will be reduced.  
12:15:04 PM  
There was a discussion
about enforcement measures related to GHG emissions in recent legislation,
as well as emissions goals in other sectors and market transformation.
 The dicussion touched on transportation choices, including mode and
type of vehicle.  Director Lew indicated that multiple strategies,
such as regulatory standards for new vehicles and emissions, could be deployed
to realize goals.  She mentioned that additional infrastructure funding
from the federal government will assist in making changes at the scale
12:18:34 PM  
Director Lew talked
about the federal government's focus on large auto companies.  CDOT
and committee members discussed comprehensive planning for transportation
and overall GHG emissions calculations.  She mentioned that several
levels of government are working together to get a handle on the various
pieces of the transportation sector.  Director Lew stated that this
is a new project for CDOT and the federal goverment is looking at Colorado
as an example to follow.
12:25:13 PM  
Fuel standards were
discussed, especially developments at the federal level, with a proposal
possible by the end of the year.  The payload of electric trucks was
also discussed, including goals surrounding fleet vehicles.  Perhaps
other government agencies, such as higher education and local schools should
be included in these goals.  Air quality issues surrounding diesel
school buses were discussed and a possible shift to electric school buses.
 There was a suggestion that the Transportation Legislation Review
Committee assist with electrification goals.  Mr. Toor shared that
Higher Education is involved in discussions with CEO on collaborations
for buildings and transportation. He suggested that  there may be
opportunities for TLRC to assist in endeavors.

12:34:13 PM  
There was a discussion
about generating electricity for vehicle charging and batteries for vehicles.
 Director Toor talked about the future of electric generation, including
electric resource plans adoptions by Colorado utility companies for an
80 percent reduction in pollution by 2030.  He explained that the
goal is to replace coal fired electric generation plants with wind and
solar, and use gas turbines for back up.  Director Toor stated that
the gas turbines will not be used often, but are essential to reliability.
 He mentioned that the goal is to have carbon free electric generation
after 2030, which will require technical and business innovations.  

He talked about innovations, including: improvements in long range battery
storage; technologies that form energies; and firm zero carbon generation,
such as modular nuclear, hydrogen, and using exess renewables energy to
hydrolize water to create green hydrogen for combustion turbines.  Director
Toor suggested that these technoligies will provide both generation and
storage.  He stated that federal investment is expected through the
infrastructure package and budget reconciliation.  Director Toor mentioned
a partnership with Eight Rivers Capital and the Southern Ute tribe to create
a 320 megawatt Allen cycle gas plant with carbon capture that may provide
 zero carbon generation to feed into utility plants.

12:42:29 PM  
Director Toor discussed
the load on the elctric grid for charging vehicles.  He referenced
two state studies which include light and heavy duty vehicles; one study
will be available later this fall.  He indicated that generally there
is a net positive benefit to the grid, especially related to light duty
vehicles since charging will take place at night.  Director Toor indicated
that there is often excess capacity at night for transmission and storage.
 He mentioned that fixed costs are spread over a larger number of
killowatt hours which should have downward pressure on rates.

Presentation from Regional Transportation District - Committee Discussion Only

01:22:03 PM  
Debra Johnson, representing
the Regional Transportation District (RTD), provided information about
RTD.  Ms. Johnson provided a PowerPoint presentation (Attachment I).
 She indicated that RTD is collaborating with the state by implementing
audit recommendations from a 2020 State Audit and looking at recommendations
from the Accountability Committee.  She stated that the committee
made its final report July 20 and board action is expected later this month.
 Ms. Johnson stated that RTD continues to work through the pandemic
and adjust to the effects.
01:26:18 PM  
Ms. Johnson said
that the RTD Board will reivew the 2021-2026 Strategic Plan next week.
 She stated that the plan looks at the organization's history and
current state and ties activities and performance measurements to outcomes.
 Ms. Johnson indicated that RTD wants to deliver value and excellence
to customers and community.  

With regards to recovery, Ms. Johnson indicated that RTD is currently at
 65 percent service and would like to increase to 70 percent of pre-pandemic
levels.  She stated that service for major activity areas may be a
sensible way to expand, such as areas of employment, the Tech Center, downtown
Denver, and Boulder.  She went on to state that RTD is looking at
its hiring practices to have the staff to provide critical services.

01:32:02 PM  
Ms. Johnson shared
that the organization is re-starting the Reimagine RTD program.  She
stated that the program looks at the organization every five to seven years
to optimize the system and plan for the future, balancing monthly needs
and fiscal limits.  through 2050.  Guiding principles were adopted
in April of this year, and are the foundation of service delivery decisions.
The six critical lensesof the program are: mobility, equity, financial,
partnerships, workforce, and sustainability.

01:35:59 PM  
Ms. Johnson talked
about a fare study equity analysis which began in March of 2021.  She
stated that the study found that users find the fare system cumbersome,
expensive, and confusing.  She talked about how the study is the first
of its kind  that includes multicultural outreach.  Ms. Johnson
talked about the implementation of new fares  in 2022 after a benchmark
study and creation of a comprehensive fare structure that accomdoates many
01:39:25 PM  
There was a discussion
about safety for RTD employees. Ms. Johnson stated that polycarbonate barriers
will remain for drivers due to some issues with violence.  

There was a discussion about service reductions.  Ms. Johnson said
that a service reduction analysis plan was completed to ensure that low
income or minority communities were not suffering the brunt of the impact
to service.   She indicated that additional routes and schedules will
be added, depending on ridership flows, with a goal to be at 85 percent
of pre-pandemic levels in 2022.
01:47:06 PM  
Ms. Johnson talked
about the Coronavirus Aid Relief that RTD received, includingCoronavirus
Aid Relief and Economic Security Act funds of $232,000 for payroll and
operations through 2020.   She stated that In 2021, RTD received $203,400
from the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act
to restore services that were cut; restore budgeted overtime and extra
shift pay for front line operators and maintenance staff; eliminate furlough
days; eliminate paycuts for non-represented employees; and allow non-represented
employees to cash in 80 hours of paid time off that they were not able
to take during the pandemic.  

Ms. Johnson indicated that RTD will also leverage a money swap of sales
and use tax in the amount of $14 million to address state audit recommendations
and the recommendations of the Accountability Committee, and ensure adequate
employees to provide service.  She said that RTD also plans to submit
an application for American Rescue Plan Act funds to address salaries and

Presentation from Colorado Association of Transit Agencies - Committee Discussion Only

01:52:45 PM  
Ann Rajewski, representing
the Colorado Association of Transit Agencies (CASTA), provided a PowerPoint
presentation (Attachment J).  The association serves over 50 transportation
agencies and organizations, and provides advocacy for members.  

Ms. Rajewski discussed common challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic,
including rider access to work.  However, Ms. Rajewski  indicated
that new services were provided during the pandemic, such as transportation
to vaccination sites.  She stated that impacts on ridership have varied.
 Ms. Rajewski provided examples from several members showing changes
in ridership and services during the pandemic.

01:58:46 PM  
Ms. Rajewski outlined
new projects being undertaken by member organizations, including a La Plata
and Archuleta regional bus and a Bustang  route from Pagosa Springs
to Durango, along US160.  She stated that new services are providing
access to medical servces, the Division of Motor Vehicles, and employment.
02:01:21 PM  
Ms. Rajewski discussed
additional projects, include the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority
maintenance facility expansion in Glenwood Springs to meet an expected
60 percent population growth in the valley.  She indicated that the
project will assist in mitigating the impacts of higher housing cost burdens
by providing reliable and affordable transportation.  

Ms. Rajewski described SETrans, a regional transportation coordinating
council including Baca, Crowley, Kiowa, Bent, Otero, and Prowers counties.
 She stated that the council is working on commercial driver license
training and testing programs through partnerships in the counties, Ft.
Lyon, City of LaJunta, and with local workforce coordinators to provide
a pipeline for transportation drivers.   She shared that the council
is also working on transit connections from new housing to over 200 jobs
at prisons in Olney Springs and Las Animas.

Presentation from Colorado Cross Disability Coalition - Committee Discussion Only

02:05:45 PM  
Julie Reiskin, Executive
Director representing the Colorado Cross Disability Coalition (CCDC), provided
information about her organization.  CCDC provided a PowerPoint presentation
(Attachment K).  She stated that transportation is a huge issue for
the community that CCDC represents.  Jaime Lewis, Chair of the Advisory
Committee for Transit representing CCDC, talked about experiences with
RTD.  He stated that RTD offers Access-A-Ride which provides food
delivery, transportation to medical appointments, and the opportunity to
get out.  Mr. Lewis talked about transportation and independence and
CCDC's work with RTD to bring back services and make changes to services.

02:13:13 PM  
Mr. Lewis stated
that in rural areas some folks are making their own travel arrangements
to medical appointments and applying for reimbursement.  He indicated
that wait times for reimbursement are long and amounts received are often
less than expenses.  Mr. Lewis added that transportation through the
Department of Human Services can be complex to use and that is why CCDC
supports public transit that serves everyone.  

02:17:52 PM  
Mr. Lewis suggested
that transportation network companies are a great option for some members,
such as blind individuals, however there is no support for individuals
using wheel chairs.  He talked about government involvement as a way
requirie transportation for individuals using wheel chairs.  He also
indicated that buses provide a good option.

02:19:30 PM  
Mr. Lewis discussed
the top three emerging issues identified by CCDC, including: partnerships
between counties and municipalities; increased population in cities; and
ride share programs.  He suggested that ride share programs may need
to look at accomodations for the disabled community.  Mr. Lewis also
talked about a possible tax to provide disabled access to cars as well
as relief for RTD.
02:22:11 PM  
Ms. Reiskin touched
on possible local government programs to ensure clear sidewalks for sight
impaired individuals.
02:23:13 PM  
Mr. Lewis and Ms.
Reiskin touched on additional participation in the RTD accessibility committees.
 Medical transportation gaps in service were discussed, including
the unavailability of same day rides where ambulance services are often
used instead.  Ms. Reiskin touched on the challenge of returning home
from the hospital, as well as transportation for mental health treatment.

Presentation from Colorado Department of Health Care Policy & Financing - Committee Discussion Only

02:30:02 PM  
The Department of
Health Care Policy & Financing (HCPF) provided a PowerPoint presentation
to members (Attachment L).  Ryan Dwyer, representing HCPF, talked
about a non-emergency medical transportation (NEMT) for handling medical
transportation which involves brokers dispatching for a network of transportation
providers that do not own their own vehicles.  Mr. Dwyer outlined
benefits, including uniform administration with a single point of contact,
which is helpful for counties so that resources are not used on administration.
 He indicated that feedback from providers suggested a feeling that
the department gave business to bigger organizations and members needing
services were confused by the new process, especially since they often
had longstanding relationships with providers.  Increased call volume,
leading to increased hold times as well as delays in processing mileage
reimbursements, were discussed.
02:39:09 PM  
Ryan Dwyer stated
that they are exploring options to work on feedback received from customers
and indicated that IntelliRide reduced the scope of their services in August,
but still provides full services for the original nine-county region.  He
indicated that dedicated providers are needed for smaller counties and
that HCPF is continuing to improve call center wait times and reduce the
time for processing mileage reimbursements.  He said that feedback
is encouraged from members, providers, and advocates.  

02:41:01 PM  
Fee for service organizations
and transportation services were discussed, including the return of services
since COVID-19.  HCPF will look at data related to revenue and trip
numbers and provide information to the committee.

Interim Bill Draft Requests - Committee Discussion Only

02:43:55 PM  
Makita Lee Fiddler, representing herself, provided testimony to the committee.
02:49:29 PM  
Jason Gelender, Jery
Payne, and Sarah Lozano, representing the Office of Legislative Legal Services,
provided an introduction to the bill draft process.

02:53:49 PM
Motion Create a bill draft to modify the definition of milk products regarding a non-divisible load.
Moved Boesenecker
Seconded Froelich
Donovan Excused
Pettersen Excused
Rich Excused
Valdez D.
Van Winkle
Winter Excused
YES: 0   NO: 0   EXC: 4   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  Pass Without Objection

02:54:38 PM
Motion Create a bill draft regarding a statewide law for bicyclists to make certain stops at stop signs and red lights.
Moved Gray
Seconded Valdez D.
Donovan Excused
Pettersen Excused
Rich Excused
Valdez D.
Van Winkle
Winter Excused
YES: 0   NO: 0   EXC: 4   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  Pass Without Objection

02:57:35 PM
Motion Create a bill draft regarding medical transportation across rural and suburban areas.
Moved Gray
Seconded Valdez D.
Donovan Excused
Pettersen Excused
Rich Excused
Valdez D.
Van Winkle
Winter Excused
YES: 0   NO: 0   EXC: 4   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  Pass Without Objection
02:57:36 PM  
There was a discussion about regulation.

03:02:31 PM
Motion Create a bill draft to standardize gross weight limits for freight on highways.
Moved Pico
Seconded Van Winkle
Donovan Excused
Pettersen Excused
Rich Excused
Valdez D.
Van Winkle
Winter Excused
YES: 0   NO: 0   EXC: 4   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  Withdrawn

03:04:08 PM
Motion Create a resolution draft regarding a study for freight weight limitations on roadways.
Moved Pico
Seconded Gray
Donovan Excused
Pettersen Excused
Rich Excused
Valdez D.
Van Winkle
Winter Excused
YES: 0   NO: 0   EXC: 4   ABS:  0   FINAL ACTION:  Pass Without Objection

03:04:54 PM   The committee adjourned.

Colorado legislature email addresses ending in are no longer active. Please replace with for Colorado legislature email addresses. Details

The effective date for bills enacted without a safety clause is August 7, 2024, if the General Assembly adjourns sine die on May 8, 2024, unless otherwise specified. Details