Representative Buckner, bill sponsor, presented House Bill 20-1218 to the committee. The bill continues the licensing of hearing aid providers by the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) for 11 years, until September 1, 2031. It also makes several changes to how hearing aid providers are regulated, including:
• requiring final agency actions to be appealed directly to the Court of Appeals;
• broadening the scope of title protection for licensed hearing aid providers;
• requiring a hearing aid provider to obtain licensure before selling or negotiating to sell a hearing aid;
• requiring an applicant for licensure or a licensee to post a surety bond;
• adding failure to practice according to professional standards to the grounds for discipline;
• adds disciplinary action in another jurisdiction for acts or omissions similar to those that are grounds for discipline in Colorado as grounds for discipline in Colorado; and
• restoring deceptive trade practice provisions related to the sale of hearing aids.
The bill also combines the Hearing Aid Provider Practice Act with the Audiologist Practice Act.
Amendments L.001 was distributed to the committee (Attachment A).